Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT, Shooting and the neighbors.

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 18:19:07 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

On Sun, 9 Jun 2013 18:39:05 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

snip

By the way, isn't there any kind of laws restricting him from shooting so
close to an inhabited building?

RogerN

First of all....if he is shooting on or over your property...you can
have him arrested on a variety of charges.

Now what I would suggest doing...is getting a backhoe and piling up a
birm about 6-8' high next to your shooting bench/shooting line
...between that area and a clear line to his house, simply to block
the audio waves of the gunshots. from reaching his home.

Its surprising how much that will attenuate the gunshots....and make
them less "heart beatingly surprising". And perhaps a freon horn to
be directed towards his property several minutes before starting to
shoot as a prewarning.

You got me thinking here.... What if I were to build myself a small
building, sort of like a large hunting blind, that I could sit in, have a
reloading bench, and have a window I could open to shoot through? Not shoot
through with the barrel out of the window, but from a bench so the majority
of the muzzle blast is inside the building, with sound deadening materials
to not reflect the sound inside and muffle the sound going outside. Sort of
like sitting inside of a large "silencer". So inside my mini building I
have a shooting bench, reloading bench, and I can open the shooting
"window" that has a length of sound deadening tunnel directed toward my
target. The shooting bench would be back far enough from the window to
allow for a chronograph. This could also double as a ground hunting blind
that I can move during season. The tunnel I would shoot through could have
chambers to help deaden the sound, and the opening could extend to block the
sound more on the neighbors side.

That would work. Expensive..but having a shooting house can be a very
good thing. A lot of the old time gun makers/writers had a bench with
a flip up window so they could shoot winter or summer. But the dirt
is likely to be cheaper to do.

Obviously you and they have not talked about his problems with you
shooting...so why not have a glass of lemonade on the front lawn and
see what his problems are? Maybe he has a kid who naps at a certain
time? Favorite TV show?

Or is he simply an asshole? You as of yet have not determined that
yet. So get your ducks in a row before it turns into a shooting war.

Gunner

As for the next conversation with the neighbor...placing a tape
recorder on the table between you as you discuss the issue might
either shut them up, or force her into honesty (if thats possible with
those people) or give you some backup. And if she bitches about
it..tell her she is welcome to bring her own.

And be civil and watch your mouth.

Sometimes the heat of the moment can catch fire. So never...ever be
anything other than calm in such situations.

And if he points a weapon at you...the issue has gone so far down hill
that the cops must be called. And frankly...if he points a weapon at
you...duck, cover and call the cops. In your situation..responding
with a weapon will be viewed as a "Bad Thing" by the rest of your
neighbors...whom they evidently communicate with, given the silent
treatment you are getting. Or we arent hearing all of the story.

Btw...video cameras are great data storage devices if handled by a
spouse or family member from a concealed viewpoint.

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
RaidŽ to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."