Posted to uk.d-i-y
D.M.Chapman[_2_] D.M.Chapman[_2_] is offline

Default Decking treatment (oil/stain ?)

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
On 15/06/2013 09:51, Rick Hughes wrote:

Realise that really I need to use a Decking Oil not stain.

Yes, Oil it and it will just fade nicely. If you "coat" it with anything
then it will wear through, or peel, or both. Looks awful.

Anybody experience on using Oils ...
Sikkens vs Cuprinol vs Ronseal

I've used cuprinol (both the clear, and the oak) and the liberon oil that
toolstation sell. Also tried the wickes own brand a while back IIRC.

Never seen much difference tbh. All stupidly expensive. I've always picked
it up for about half price in the sales (buy in autumn for 12 quid for 5
litres, treat desk in following spring). I now just buy whatever I see that
is cheap.

Toolstation have some on offer at the moment:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pain.../sd3176/p59461

One thing that worried me a bit the first time I used the oak cuprinol - it
appears to be purple when first applied! Fades in minutes as it soaks in and
looks good after an hour or so :-)

Darren