Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is "The Kid" related to Iggy

On 2013-06-15, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

O.K. THe P-list must be what the Hitachi manual for the drives
describes as "skip"s. Each sector has information to move to the
next
*good* sector, skipping over the intermediate bad ones.

[ ... ]

This Russian knows his stuff!
http://hddscan.com/doc/HDD_Tracks_and_Zones.html

A very good page. Thanks. I did learn things, some of which
should have been obvious, but I had not considered them.

There's no way that I can use the Windows format to fix this,
however. the only systems which I Have with the FC-AL drive slots
are
equipped with UltraSPARC CPUs, which Windows has no idea what to do
with. :-(

Here is a good start for you.
http://code.duffy.jp/hard-drive-benchmark-for-linux/

Ouch! Linux 10.54, and I'm running 6.6.?, which appears to be
the last version to escape for the UltraSPARC 64-bit CPUs. This means
that I have to get a PCI interface FC-AL card to talk to the drives with
something newer.

But then, I'm not sure that a benchmark program would be much
help, anyway.

I think the stalactites indicate G-list sectors that the head has to
move to before reading. The read block size affects the graph
sharpness, like the bandwidth controls on a spectrum analyzer. In
Windows the boot drive will show non-repeating spurious spikes when
the OS kernel preempts the drive.

It's typical for a hard drive to slow down considerably toward the
end, and a CD or DVD drive to ramp up. DVD-DLs give a peaked-roof
graph.
jsw

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564