Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default electric fencer

On 2013-06-13, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

The guy wants 20 sets. From what I remember, some aluminum bar stock
and a table saw could make most of the part, and a mill could finish
them.

For only 20 sets, the custom cutter stack for a horizontal mill
would probably not be worth the time and the custom grinding..

I gave up on him, he wants to destroy existing plug-ins rather
than make new frames. I suggested that he ask on this group to see if
anyone was willing to make them, and to get a price. He started ranting
that no none could do it, and that they wouldn't do it for free, even if
they could. A closed mind is a terrible thing. I've had to make
irreplacable parts with nothing more than a hacksaw & file.

I used the horizontal mill and an index head to make a
replacement gear for use inside a differential vertical plugin. I think
that I posted a web page about the project a couple of years ago. :-)

If he is stripping a frame to make each, he probably would need
the front and rear panels too. The front is likely an injection
molding, but the rear is pretty simple sheet metal work, IIRC.

He demands
an exact clone of the Tektronix part, and would probably demand a Tek QA
stamp on them.

Well ... the QA stamp could be forged, too. :-)

The empty chassis for the TM-500 plugins would be a nice
starting point, except that they are not long enough. (I considered
using one (which I have) to make a test extender for the 'scope
mainframe, and this is how I know this.

Custom machined parts would offer him a better choice of mounting
certain parts -- such as those which need heat-sinking.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564