Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default electric fencer

On 2013-06-13, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Tektronix made a really nice one -- good up to 40 KV. But beware.
It takes a squirt of a HV dielectric fluid (which is really one
of the now-banned refrigerants), so you are unlikely to get the full

[ ... ]

A newer refrigerant is being discussed as a possible replacement on
the Tekscope Yahoo group right now.

Great!

[ ... ]

A guy on the Tekscope Yahoo group builds a HV plug-in for the 7000
series. It will work to 7 kV. There is also a thread on how it's
impossible to make affordable replacements for the extruded rails for
7000 series plug ins. One claims it can't be done in small quantities
for under $200 a set. He refuses to believe that it can be done in a
decent home metalworking shop. I have no 7000 series gear, but from
what I remember it wouldn't be that hard to make an acceptable
replacement since they are looking to build custom plug-ins.

Hmm ... without checking mine out, I think that it could be
possible to set up a stack of cutters on the arbor of a horizontal
spindle mill, and make the necessary shape in one pass with long stock.
Then you *might* need to flip it over and mill the inside cavities.

I forget whether there is perforated metal in holes through the
rails. If so -- a bit more milling after flipping it over, and CNC would
be the winner there.

And of course, it could all be done with CNC. But with enough
of them to be made I think that a horizontal mill would win hands down,
at least for the bottom profile.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564