Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is "The Kid" related to Iggy

On 2013-06-13, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

[ ... ]

Have you priced new IDE laptop drives?

That was a joke, Jim.

They haven't made many, or any for a few years now. Geeks.com had
piles of cheap 'refurbished' 2.5: PATA drives, but they only list one
right now. 80 GB for $35.

I just recently got a batch (60) of the 146 GB FC-AL interfaced
drives. I have a direct application for about half of them.

Unfortunately, they were from an IBM RAID setup, and had been
formatted with 520 byte sectors, instead of the standard 512 byte ones.

I've dealt with converting 36 GB and 73 GB ones with the same
problems, but these are fighting me all the way home.

I've been bouncing back and forth between Sun's Solaris 10 and
Ubuntu linux trying different tools to try to get them working. No luck
so far, though I have six converted to 512 byte sectors, they won't
accept a label, because the bad block tables are gone.

It would really be nice to have them usable, to replace the 36GB
and 73GB drives in various software RAID arrays.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564