Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default electric fencer

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:54:59 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 23:29:23 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Plugged in the electric fencer and the meter reads "short" but it
still shocks the **** out of you. Don't ask me how I know this.

Not having a volt indication will be a real problem, no way to know if
grass etc. is knocking down the effectiveness. A fencer puts out a
high volt burst a small percent of the time. On the order of 7K volts
for 50 miliseconds once per second. Is there an easy way to add a volt
meter? Just a relative indication is all that's needed. or time to buy
another unit? ($250)

If there is grass or somesuch on the line, a spark will develop at the
charger if you disconnect the wire and hold it far enough away from the
terminal to form a 1/16 in or so wide gap.

Even with no grass that will happen due to line capacitance or line
impedence.

Not in my experience but I'll check it in the morning.

It sure does with 2 miles of fence. Or at least it always did when I
was back on the farm. With the Bowman Weed Chopper.