Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D Danny D is offline

Default Faux pas ordering pool pump & pool filter o-rings by trade

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 08:27:54 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

btw your must be brilliant by now think about it.

If you only knew!

For example, THIS is why my cleaner pump died yesterday!

Even I had to consider myself an idiot for listening to the
pumprepair.com instructions, which called for removing the
stationary V-plate and loosening the capacitor, when neither
of which were actually needed to remove the diffuser.

The problem was that I didn't realize that now-broken yellow
wire would flop about, where it eventually chafed clean through,
apparently with a puff of black smoke coming from somewhere,
perhaps that mongo capacitor?

So, in hindsight, I followed dumb instructions; and, I made
an additional dumb mistake in putting the stuff back that I
didn't actually have to remove in the first place. Sigh.

In addition, the pumprepair.com instructions called for a
silicone lube on the shaft seals, but the "real" answer is
*NEVER* to use that! The real answer is dish detergent (but
the pool stores don't make any money telling you that!):

So many mistakes - some of which were because I followed
(what turns out to be dumb) instructions; yet, the wire
was still my fault for not securing it!

Plus, it turns out you and Oren were right all along about
the unnecessary complications of the junction box on
the ground, with the four fittings. It turns out that all
I *really* needed was a straight-through 1/2" coupling
on the motor itself (which is trivial to remove now).

My bad experience with the 1/2" elbow tainted my decisions;
and, now I rue that I put that silly junction box there every
time I see it. It cost more. It was more work. It's less
water proof. It's in the way. And, it was unnecessary. Sigh.

As you said, I'm (almost) brilliant by now!