Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default electric fencer

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
news

He, and several
others couldn't be convinced of SRF in resistors and capacitors
threw a
hissy fit when I designed a broadband DC block to replace the pile
of
unlabeled junk that was in use. It consisted of a stack of surface
mount caps. I use .33 uF. .033 uF .0033 uF 330 pF and 33 pF.

Like most I learned capacitors as ideal components. It was an
eye-opener to sweep them with a network analyzer and see how much they
deviated, especially the high-Q MLC ones at high frequencies. The
design rule at Mitre (where DC was defined as below 1 GHz) was to do
as you did even with bypass caps, like 0.1uF in parallel with 1000pF,
sometimes stacked on the same pads.

As an experiment I attached a .1uF MLC to a capacitance meter and
heated it with a hot air gun. The capacitance dropped to ~ 1/10th of
its room-temp value. A silver-mica changed almost too little to
detect.
jsw