George

Default What wood for a cutting board

Wow, I've got birch no-cook boards myself. Now what is it about birch and
water that I should know after six years? Yellow birch will even grow where
its feet get wet.

As to bleach solutions and oiled boards, you'd be better with detergent.
Oil and water still don't mix, but detergent emulsifies the oil on the board
and the lipid walls of bacterial cells. If your board's - recommended -
unfinished, or, as the "expert" probably deals with , plastic, bleach is the
way to go.

"DarylRos" wrote in message

A good freind who is a food health service expert recommends keeping a

spray
bottle, with one tbs of clorox of one gallon of water., wipe, spray, let

dry.
Much easier.

The best cutting board is probably osage orange, but it's really

expensive, and
tghe dust gets everywhere. I would think apple and pear work well. I

actually
ahd a birch one for years, and constant washing didn't even disintegrate

it. i
made it before I "knew" that birch and water don't mix. It probably

started
warping when I knew it was the wrong thing to use.

Avoid padauk too; p;us any exotic where an allergiuc reaction is possible.

I wonder how ipe would be? Any ideas?