Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
[email protected] nobody@diddledock.com is offline

Default Stanley 260 torpedo level & other old tools (0/1)

Sounds fair to me!

Attached are images of the restored Stanley #260 Torpedo level, the
current Made-in-Thailand Stanley Torpedo level to compare, and an old
GE/Revere electric clock I restored some years back used as a
backdrop.

Can anyone identify the wood? I figure it is black walnut.

When I get a chance, I'll take shots of the old Stanley planes.

There is something about those old Stanley tools...

The clock was dated 1949. Picked it up in a garage sale for $10.
Finish was shot... all cracked. Motor was shot. Movement was loaded
with dried-up lubricants, but was still serviceable. Westminster
chimes didn't work. Fell in love with it for the veneer. It is
fully-functional now, with the original movement and chimes. Cabinet
took about a week to restore. It was well-worth the effort.

Hope everyone enjoys!

ps. I know all too well about the madness. I have restored old
electronic and mechanical things since I was in high school.

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 23:49:41 -0500, Roy
wrote:

Post this over on rec.woodworking for a lot more response. This group is
primarily for pictures, although there is some discussion at times. There are
several galoots (hand tool nuts) that hang out over on the text group.

Excellent fix on the level. As for the planes being a good deal, well, that
depends on which planes they are. You can post some pictures here of your
finds, and announce the posting over on rec.woodworking.

Wait until you get into resurrecting hand saws, dovetail saws, tennon saws,
braces, bits, scrapers, chisels, etc and then learning how to restore and
sharpen all these things. It is a slippery slope. Welcome to the madness.

Regards,
Roy