Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default electric fencer

On 2013-06-12, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

Its a Parmak precision brand. Made in USA - KC MO

A proper repair would be huge. I did find this on the web
http://www.dickselectricfencerrepair.com/ But likely, the repair will
be about the same as a new one. Mine is a 6 Joule 7K volt rated unit.
Now, I see you can get 10 Joule 12K volt units. Maybe its time to
upgrade.

Make sure the insulators are clean. They will bleed off a lot of the
energy if they are dirty. It goes without saying, but turn it off
before you do the inspection. ;-)

See if you can find an old Pomona or B&K TV HV probe with a built in
meter. You'll need to add a couple diodes to rectify the AC, but then
it's a simple matter of clipping the lead to ground, and touching the
probe to the wire.

Tektronix made a really nice one -- good up to 40 KV. But
beware. It takes a squirt of a HV dielectric fluid (which is really one
of the now-banned refrigerants), so you are unlikely to get the full
voltage range out of it. (And no, I don't remember if I ever knew what
refrigerant they used -- just one of the FREON family. :-)

If you have some, a squirt will usually last a year or two
before it all leaks out.

And it has four or five trimmer adjustments for proper
waveshape at various frequencies. A *big* box on the BNC (with a collet
lock-on to keep it from jiggling off. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564