Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default electric fencer

Karl Townsend wrote:

Its a Parmak precision brand. Made in USA - KC MO

A proper repair would be huge. I did find this on the web
http://www.dickselectricfencerrepair.com/ But likely, the repair will
be about the same as a new one. Mine is a 6 Joule 7K volt rated unit.
Now, I see you can get 10 Joule 12K volt units. Maybe its time to
upgrade.

Make sure the insulators are clean. They will bleed off a lot of the
energy if they are dirty. It goes without saying, but turn it off
before you do the inspection. ;-)

See if you can find an old Pomona or B&K TV HV probe with a built in
meter. You'll need to add a couple diodes to rectify the AC, but then
it's a simple matter of clipping the lead to ground, and touching the
probe to the wire.

Here is an example of a B&K on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4d0d4bb550

Fluke, Heathkit & others made probes to use with a 10 Megohm input
impedance meter, but they cost as much, or more than the probe type..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0&_nkw=h v+probe&_sacat=0&_from=R40