Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Faux pas ordering pool pump & pool filter o-rings by trade size! :)

On Jun 12, 2:00*am, Danny D wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 18:34:25 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:
You could go to a hardware store they probably
have a cross-reference as would an auto parts
store.

After making mistakes, I realize that the typical process
to source the o-dash sizes would be the following 3 steps:

1. Determine the manufacturer's part number:
* *e.g., Sta-Rite Seal plate housing o-ring, U9-228
* *(aka U9-228A)

2. Cross reference to the Aladdin o-dash size:
* *http://www.aladdin1950.com/search.cfm
* *$9.22 Aladdin 1-O-240 Seal Plate Housing O-Ring

3. Measure & cross reference to AS568 o-dash trade size:
* *$1.17 AS568 O-449 ACS=275±.000 AID=10±.000 NCS=1/4 NID=10 NOD=10-1/2

Note: To make matters confusing, some web sites cross reference
* * * to the Aladdin o-dash number while others cross reference
* * * to the AS568 o-dash number.

For example, this site cross references U9-228A to an Aladdin O-240:
*http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F0O6RW
Yet, this site cross references U9-228A to the AS568 O-449:
*http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07501352023149.htm

It's easy, once you know not to make any "assumptions"!

That process is about as clear as mud. If step 2 is to measure, then
why do you have to cross reference it to anything at all?

My way of looking at this is if you called a pool company to fix
a leaking pump, you might wind up with a new pump:

Cost $275 + $150 labor = $425

or if you're luckier, you might wind up with them replacing the O-ring
Cost $10 + $150 labor = $160

but since I'm doing it myself, the cost will be just $10 -$15 for the
O-ring
from a pool store.

So, even though I'm paying a premium for the O-ring, the cost of the
repar is still so small that it's not worth all the hassle with trying
find some cheaper O-rings.