Paul

Default Is my main socket ring too big?

Thanks for the feedback everyone, positive and negative. I can see there is
some division on if its OK, or stretching regs, but clearly the consensus is
its a poor solution. I just know now I am going to have to sort it out
afterwards anyway, I am just pretty mad that I have such a "just within
guidelines" result for the money I am paying.

I did a quick count last night, and I have 18 plugs under my desk alone (a
few big loads, lots brick style PSU's) and if nothing else I am sure I am
going to have lots of noise on one large ring (I can already listen to my
ADSL router PSU on my cheap'n'cheerful unfltered clock radio in the mornings
at my current place).

2nd fix has already taken place, and I can't see the builder doing anything
now (painters are in). Thanks to Owain for the very detailed reply. I had
considered voltage drop due to length of the ring, I will have to get my
thinking hat on and do the calculations, this will be a real issue when
taking an extension to the back garden if I wanted to use the garage sockets
as you pointed out. In reply to your question, the CU is split, the RCD side
has a single circuit which is the sockets ring, so I guess yes, the whole
house is on a single RCD (except the cooker) and it is probably a 30mA
device, I will check next time I am at the site.

As Stefak points out, the ring is supposed to be evenly loaded, but all they
have done is run the ring round the ceiling joists on the ground floor
pulling it up to the bedrooms and down to the other rooms. As the CU is in
the garage, and the first stop on the ring is the kitchen the ring is
massivly unbalanced!

I guess all I can do is obtain copies of the electricians certification for
the installation to BS7671 when the sale completes. The NHBC warrenty will
cover me when all the problems start, I could just do without settling in,
then having to consider ripping walls/ceilings/floors apart to get an
electricity supply that does not keep tripping...

I can see some people on the group think I am being dramatic, but I am a bit
of a gadet freak with plenty of electrical appliances, and can assure you
that my concerns are real.

Cheers all, just found uk.d-i-y, think I might be here for a while... very
helpful group!

Paul

Email: paul at javajedi dot com