Tom Kohlman

Default why sellers love ebay

Ebay...keep a source like Amazon (ToolCrib I guess) live while searching.
My experience is that you may get a great deal from time to time on EBay but
a lot of times the shipping charges will kill you.

If the deal is too good, it may look like a "newbie" but in fact is usually
a "shill" waiting in the background to make you pay a lot more as you get
into the "frenzy". If you are smart the item goes to the shill and the
seller only pays that small listing charge. While shills are a violation of
EBay rules, let's get real...absolutely no way to prove it. You'll know
when the same item shows up again a few weeks later.

If the deal is really too great to be true and the seller is afraid of the
"shill rule", they can simply cancel the auction. That is my biggest
gripe...buyers are bound but sellers aren't.

"Joe Wells" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:02:26 -0700, Todd L wrote:

snip 'Bay mania

I've been stalking planes on eBay for about a week now. Found what looked
like a nice #8 and planned to bid when the time was right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...spagename= ST
RK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Looks like a couple of newbies decided to play ping-pong with their bids.
For comparison, I offer this snipped from Patrick Leach's latest tool
list:

ST3 #8 jointer; a type 6 model from the late 1880's, with
all original parts, including the '92 patent iron, which is full
length; 98% japanning, as found, with no damage other than the
tiniest chip at the extreme end of the tote, it has a uniform brown
patina to the machined surfaces; will clean to be far nicer than
usual examples, this is a workhorse from the classic era of Stanley
tools; a perfect worker for those who like them old. $165.00

Patrick's planes typically sell for more than the prices you see on eBay,
but then you know exactly what you're getting. My jaw dropped as I saw the
bids rise, then rise, then rise some more...

--
Joe Wells