Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Default Stanley 260 torpedo level & other old tools

Post this over on rec.woodworking for a lot more response. This group is
primarily for pictures, although there is some discussion at times. There are
several galoots (hand tool nuts) that hang out over on the text group.

Excellent fix on the level. As for the planes being a good deal, well, that
depends on which planes they are. You can post some pictures here of your
finds, and announce the posting over on rec.woodworking.

Wait until you get into resurrecting hand saws, dovetail saws, tennon saws,
braces, bits, scrapers, chisels, etc and then learning how to restore and
sharpen all these things. It is a slippery slope. Welcome to the madness.

Regards,
Roy

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 23:22:17 -0400, wrote:

Some months ago, I picked up an old Stanley wooden torpedo level at a
flea market for $3.00. Was just one of those things I couldn't say no
to. It was dinged and dirty. Looked like someone had spilled solvent
on part of one end.

Boy.... did it sure clean up nice! I polished up the wood and got
most all of the dents out. Some finish-sanding really made a big
difference, and a quick coat of rub-on satin polyurethane made it look
real spiffy. Wood looks like black walnut to me. (anyone know for
sure?) It agrees spot-on with an aluminum level I have.

Before that, I picked up a pair of old Stanley planes at a garage sale
for $12. Seemed disgustingly cheap to me for perfectly good planes
with not a spot of rust on them.

I gather that most folks don't like or don't know how to use the old
tools? They really seem to sit unnoticed at flea markets and garage
sales I've been to.

Anyone else here like to use the old-style tools? Anyone here make a
point of rebuilding/restoring them??