Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Ashdown Acoustic Radiator 2, amp

"Ron Johnson" wrote in message
On 11/06/2013 08:40, N_Cook wrote:
It was only when I saw the IEC on the rear that I realised it was not
1960s,
scuffed red mock leather covering, large thick leather handle, "ivory"
knobs
, that cream stove enamel used on a lot of medical kit etc of the era
after
the crackle finish of the 40s/50s.
Now I've seen it all. To get the amp out you need to remove a speaker to
release the speaker wires internally. But its a dummy speaker, presumably
the 2 in the model name means 2 speakers. Basket , suspension , kevlar
looking skirt, and cone , only. No pig tails or holes for pigtails or
Voice
coil or magnet. So if these were off a production line, how were they
further processed? 4x3 sets of holes in the basket for what I would have
thought were screw holes for a magnet , but sealed off by the seated
cone.
Would they glue in VC to the cone and magnet glued in to the basket with
some sort of active monitoring of sound output , while posistioning in
the
uncured glue?
Problem is the otherwise Ashdown Bass amp common symptom of loss of
output ,
returning a few minutes later, but this one will then continue for an
hour
or more with no drop-out. Not had a chance to power up yet , to
investigate

The answer is in the name. It's not a dummy speaker, but a passive
'acoustic radiator' Surely you have seen one of these before? They are not
uncommon.

Ron

I was gonna say that as well ! :-)

Arfa