Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Enclosing AC unit/condenser

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 05:10:23 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

The enclosed on two sides assumes there will be some clearance. *You
only need a couple of inches to get air flow to the fins. *There was
no mention of attaching to the condenser, just putting a visual
shield.

I'm not convinced you get the same airflow with a lattice 2" away
from the side of a condenser.

Do the math. Hint: #1 the fins take up space, same as lattice does.
To be accurate, you have to know the fin spacing and thickness of the
material.
#2 if it is not enclosed on alls ides, you will still be sucking air
in from the open sides.

FWIW, I worked for a company that made such coils for 7 years and have
a bit of experience with them. Biggest coils we made were 20' long x
4' high, smallest was 6" x 6".