Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Any tips please for timber & finish.

On 6/11/2013 11:35 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I suggested a hardwood for durability and gave her some bits of oak, ash,

beech and elm to practice with. She is struggling as the timber is hard and

the process very contrary to her usual discipline.

Use Mahogany. It is not so hard that you can't carve it and is great for water resistance. She is never going to carve Ipe (nick named iron wood for good reason).

And the reason I suggested using a router. ;~) If she is struggling
with carving with a hard wood and she ends up using a router, Ipe would
not be out of the question and would probably outlast the boat.

Teak I am not so familiar with but seems like even stringie-er grain
than mohag and probably tought to carve well.

Teak is a pretty common marine wood.