Alan W

Default Hand plane question -please help?

(Fred) wrote in message . com...
Hello, I'm working with a solid wood countertop for a vanity -it's
1-1/8 x 18" x 28". I've glues up 3 boards to make this, and now want
to plane it flat.

I second the opinion to call a few woodworking shops and cabinet shops
and pay for time in a drum sander. You will be much the happier for
it. Hand planes are wonderfull, but the learning curve is in months.
You could also be going along just fine, hit a grain reversal and pull
a 1/32" chunk out of your surface in a split second. Unless you have
oriented all three boards with the same grain direction (not likely)
you would have to plane exactly to the edge of one board and then turn
around and plane the opposite direction.

A belt sander can also run the project in seconds if not used
properly, if you use a fine grit like 180, you are less likely to disk
the piece, but checking it often with a good straight edge and marking
those areas which are high every 30 seconds or so should help prevent
this.

Expect about $20-30 for the drum sanding of the counter top, money
well spent.

Alan