Andy Dingley

Default Hand plane question -please help?

On 11 Jun 2004 10:09:36 -0700, (Fred) wrote:

Hello, I'm working with a solid wood countertop for a vanity -it's
1-1/8 x 18" x 28". I've glues up 3 boards to make this, and now want
to plane it flat.

Start here
http://www.amgron.clara.net/planingp...planeindex.htm

You really need some assistance here. Find a nearby woodworker and
borrow a couple of planes that are already tuned up and ready to go.

Find a power thicknesser / surface planer that can take this width,
then splash out on a cheap Stanley #80 scraper to take the machining
marks off.

Find a commercial shop with a wide belt machine.

Or the long way, read up on Scary Sharp (Google) and plane tuning.
Take your Harbor Freight special (or buy it a cheap 50 yar old friend
from eBay), tune it up, practice on some scrap, then go to it.

--
Smert' spamionam