daclark

Default Workbench material choice

"Dan" wrote in message
What would you pick and why? Thanks!

At one time or another, I have had workbenches made of most of the
materials mentioned here, and finally derived a standard for myself
that has served me well for more than twenty years.
I utilize poplar for the base, because of its ability to remain stable
in an unfinished state through all changes in the weather. And, I use
high-density particle board for the top, because of its weight and the
the fact that it is a renewable surface. Depending upon the intended
usage, I might laminate two or three layers of 3/4 to acheive striking
density...a dead blow lack of bounce.
I can tack a jig or mount a fixture to the surface, I can score it
with a saw or steel edge...then take a handful of sawdust, mix it with
glue, press it into any hole, then belt it clean.
I generally drill a series of holes for hardwood doweling, that act as
dogs where I need them, or I can tack a ledger anywhere that is
convenient to the task at hand.
The base is easily set up for a variety of usages. I can rack up
clamps, or shelves for small electrics, or drawers for handtools. The
added weight of stored items adds stability to the bench. You can add
doors if you want. I install ledgers on the back legs, when I want to
do edge work. It will facilitate a vice with minor modification.
And, is easily built to any size, height, width or length, to fit any
criteria...
The materials are cheap. You can make a variety of benches for
different usages, and not worry about damaging something that is toooo
pretty.