Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Enclosing AC unit/condenser

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 20:36:50 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

First, thanks for the inputs.

The square opening is roughly 46" on each side. You'll see the 4x4 posts
which I already installed. The objective is to install the lattice and
framing to the posts. At this time, I am now thinking of louvers instead
of lattice. Whichever way I go, it'll be encased in a frame and most
likely have eye-bolts to rest on L-hooks on the post, two per side, high
and low for easy removal. I also plan to make a removable screen to rest
on top during the fall and early spring when the Maple seeds drop, since
many end up in the unit.

Louvers would be good. I'd make a frame of 1 x 4 or 1 x 6 and set the
louvers inside of it. As you state, mounted for easy removal when
required. You can get fairly large spacing and plenty of air flow.
Done right, there would be minimal restriction.

I'd also keep the back and right side open if not very visible when
enjoying the outdoors. .