Posted to rec.woodworking
Gramp's shop[_2_] Gramp's shop[_2_] is offline

Default Any tips please for timber & finish.

On Monday, June 10, 2013 7:19:53 PM UTC-5, Nick wrote:
A very good friend of mine has a small 60yo sailing boat that she and her

brother have spent the last 4 years restoring. Pretty much completed now

except the frilly curtains. 26ft, I think. That's the length of the boat,

not the curtains.

She (Clare) wants to make a nameboard that will be fixed to the stern.

Lettering will be incised by hand.

Clare is a carver but has no experience of incised lettering.

I suggested a hardwood for durability and gave her some bits of oak, ash,

beech and elm to practice with. She is struggling as the timber is hard and

the process very contrary to her usual discipline.

This is going to live in a seawater environment 24/7. 6 months in/out.

Gave Clare a few bits of softwood to try and she is finding this easier to

work. I think the practice may be improving her technique. I still think

that if the finished article is to have any durability, it should be of

hardwood.

Any suggestions for timber and durable finish please.

Good luck,

Nick

You can't go wrong with teak. I used to finish all my brightwork with Armada. Of course, anything that sits in the sun for six months will require sanding and refinishing.