Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Forklift is running...kinda sorta

Gunner Asch wrote:

Ive looked the engine over..and I honestly cant find a place to put
the sensor. And its a very very good idea!

Electric ignition? You can tap a reed relay across the points,
like the old electromechanical tachometers from the '60s. The
coil of the reed relay goes across the points, possibly with
a series resistor to protect it from the voltage spikes. The contacts
are then connected to the speed controller.

There is a VW industrial Jetta engine in there..and a very big!
hydraulic pump with 4 belts running it directly from the engine. The
fan is on the other end of course..and it too has no usable shaft area
to strap anything to. Trust me..Ive looked and pondered and
considered over and over again..and I cant see anyway to add an
outboard cruise control. No CV joints anywhere, no drive shaft..nadda.

There has to be some sensor of some sort on that engine for the
existing box to work..but damned if I can figure it out without a
diagram or manual.

Belts? Glue a magnet to the inner side of the pulley, the pickup
can be positioned where it needs to go. Or even, drill a hole in
the valve covers, and rig a Hall sensor to detect the movement
of the rocker arms.

Jon