Posted to alt.home.repair
jamesgang jamesgang is offline

Default Enclosing AC unit/condenser

On Monday, June 10, 2013 9:07:23 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
On Jun 10, 8:54*am, "

wrote:

On Jun 9, 10:51*pm, "

wrote:

On Jun 9, 6:21*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 16:54:42 -0400, Meanie

wrote:

Just had a new central AC unit installed. The condenser was installed

within a cutout corner section of my wood deck. I want to enclose it for

aesthetic purposes, but am fully aware to provide sufficient airflow. My

plan is a screened lattice which will be removable for service. Is

lattice sufficient enough for airflow?

If enclosed on two sides while the rest is open is no problem. *If the

lattice is fairly open and a little distance away, still no problem..

Be sure the leaving air is free to go too. *If you restrict the fan

you are adding load.

Ditto - *Everything already said.

I'm not so sure about the enclosed on two sides part. *I would think

if

you put a lattice that isn't the most open type right up against two

sides

of the unit, you could still substantially reduce the airflow on those

two

sides. *Air has to get through there somehow and blocking off 1/2

of it could have an impact, I would think.

blocking any airflow will make the system less efficent, and may

shorten its life......

since OP got a new unit why didnt they have the compressor relocated?

with the skyrocketing cost of electric using more isnt a good idea at

least for your wallet

I'd have found another location myself.