Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Fear of radiation worse than radiation...

On Jun 10, 11:33*am, tony sayer wrote:
Oh, we have an expert here that doesn't own any?

No I don't, but two people who I do know have them, and both have said
if they had to pay the full price for them they've never have bothered
with what they'd get back..

That statement doesn't make any sense.
Care to rephrase?

Two people who have solar panels, PV ones that is, fitted to their
houses say that if they had to buy them from scratch at the prices they
are installed, would be rather poor if they depended on the power they
saved by the amount of power they actually generated..

FWIW a close neighbour has some panels, quite a few, and Two of them are
in shade when the sun shines from most any direction so I suppose
they're not generating enough to cover their costs either.

Do they affect all the others especially if they are series connected..
--
Tony Sayer

It depends.
On the common technology, on domestic size installations they are
usually all in series. A shadow on any one results in a a massive
reduction in power output.

However there is new technology where each panel has a tiny inverter.
These function independently.

Still, pointless putting them in the shade.

The cost of electricity is gong to rise massively in the future
whatever the source.
PV may well end up being cheapest of all.

Theway the tarrif is structured there are three sources of income.
You are paid for everything generated (whether you use it yourself or
not).
You get a small amount for that what's deemed to be exported (50%)
Plus you save some electricity off your bill.

In days of yore, benefit on capital was around 18% inc tax.
Nowadays it's about 10%. Depending on how ideal your location is.

So get some in.