Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Helicoil or other ideas for 1/4" pipe threads?

On Jun 10, 11:31*am, wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 11:23:25 -0400, wrote:
On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 20:48:04 -0400, RBM wrote:

On 6/9/2013 8:43 PM, wrote:
I have a gas pool heater that has a 1/4"-18 NPT brass plug
that goes into a cast iron manifold. *Over time the threads in
the cast iron have deteriorated and now I can't get the plug
in. *I tried a new plug and one of the other plugs from another
location.

I checked to see if there is a helicoil for npt and they have it.
I'm not sure how the helicoil works for a pipe fitting so that it
doesn't leak, but I guess it must work. *Problem is that so far,
I can only find the insert in packs of 12 for $25, the tap is $45.
Then I think you need an insertion tool?

So, any other ideas? * It doesn't have to be the most 100%
reliable solution, ie if it drips a bit or fails, it's not the end of
the world. * Also, I'm not even using the pool heater, but I'm
not keen on ripping it out either. * The area of the plug just
has warm water going through it, not super hot. *So, I'm
thinking to just epoxy it closed. *In the Fall to winterize it I
can just knock it out. * Any other ideas?
can you get a tap and just try chasing the threads?

And if the threads are too far gone, drill it out and tap to 3/8 npt
and install a reducer bushing.

I suppose if you don't want to invest in any taps, you could epoxy a
1/4" pipe nipple in there and put a cap on it.- Hide quoted text -

I checked and I don't have a tap. But buying a regular tap isn't a
problem. So, that's the plan of record right now, try using a 1/4"
tap to restore the threads. If it works, I'll put in a nipple so I
won;t
have to screw around with that connection again.