Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) is offline

Default OT Please help, so frustrated with trying to fix car ac

On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 18:04:40 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

I am so frustrated. I have a 1990 mustang with factory air.Last year, I attempted to retrofit the car. However, the receiver drier I purchased would not attach to the compressor manifold/blocks. Inside the low pressure block was some sort of clip or something that kept the hose that is part of the receiver/dryer from going all the way in. I tried to pry it out and basically ruined the block. This year I attempted to do this again and paid 80 bucks for a used compressor off of ebay just to get the blocks because I could not fin them anywhere. And those have this clip or whatever it is too.

I thought maybe autozone gave me the wrong receiver/dryer so I had them order another one and it is exactly like the old one. All I want is to fix this thing so I can drive it once in awhile to keep from putting a lot of miles on my new truck but it seems everything is working against me.

Here are some pictures of what I am talking about:

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3873b083.jpg
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3819f939.jpg

Has anyone out there ran into this or can anyone help me?

This isn't the new spring-retainer style, it's the old retainer nut.

If the hose is a replacement, I'll bet it's the wrong one. It
happens, knowledge is lost when they go to repro things 20, 30, 40
years later. People don't study the drawings too closely and they
miss a detail. Or the book was wrong and the "universal" hose doesn't
have that notch.

Since the clip doesn't go all the way around at the same level, it
might be there to either keep the hose from rotating, or from someone
assembling it backwards. Or it blocks the guys on the assembly line
from putting a Suction hose (only 300 PSI) on the Pressure side where
it might see 450 or 500 coming out of the compressor. Yes, they shave
pennies that hard when building a car.

First thing, check the other end of that hose - if it has a matching
notch at the end, you put it in backwards... Hey, Stuff Happens. Look
at the printed legend on the side of the hose - if it says Pressure
and you're trying to put it on the Suction, that could be it.

I wouldn't try to get the clip out of the compressor block, as you
found out that's difficult at best...

After eliminating the other possibilities, and all logic insists that
the notch is supposed to be on that hose fitting, get out a Sharpie
and start planning out where it's supposed to hit, and how deep the
notch needs to be.

Notch the end of the fitting to match the keyway, or slightly shorten
the end of the hose fitting. Then deburr it carefully, and clean the
hell out of the hose to make sure you don't leave any filings or crap
inside to circulate.

And Don't Ding The O-Ring Flange Surfaces. Aluminum is soft. Wrap it
in electrical tape before you start as protection.

-- Bruce --