Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default OT, Shooting and the neighbors.

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

On Sun, 9 Jun 2013 18:39:05 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:
snip

By the way, isn't there any kind of laws restricting him from shooting so
close to an inhabited building?

RogerN

First of all....if he is shooting on or over your property...you can
have him arrested on a variety of charges.

Now what I would suggest doing...is getting a backhoe and piling up a
birm about 6-8' high next to your shooting bench/shooting line
...between that area and a clear line to his house, simply to block
the audio waves of the gunshots. from reaching his home.

Its surprising how much that will attenuate the gunshots....and make
them less "heart beatingly surprising". And perhaps a freon horn to
be directed towards his property several minutes before starting to
shoot as a prewarning.

Obviously you and they have not talked about his problems with you
shooting...so why not have a glass of lemonade on the front lawn and
see what his problems are? Maybe he has a kid who naps at a certain
time? Favorite TV show?

Or is he simply an asshole? You as of yet have not determined that
yet. So get your ducks in a row before it turns into a shooting war.

Gunner

Sounds like good advice.

The guys wife came by tonight to discuss, talk about a very unreasonable
person. When they set out on their patio of the evening they don't like to
hear the gunshots. They don't understand why I need to shoot my guns
because they don't shoot their guns, and ammo is expensive (they got one
thing right). They said my land was too small (I have 4.5 acres) and I
don't have a proper backstop. Where I shoot has a gradual downward slope
and on the other side of the ditch it slopes upward. Very much like
shooting down in a valley but with a slight slope, still a solid dirt
backstop, the bullet just goes deeper and deeper into the soil. I did have
a good backstop at my field, when I dug the pond I piled the dirt up for a
massive backstop, but the neighbors complained so I now shoot in a small
area on the other side of my house.

The neighbor's wife told me that when we shoot they are going to go right
next to my house at 6:00 AM and shoot. According to the Sherriff's office,
them doing this just to be a nuisance is illegal.

So I'm thinking of shooting large generic Tannerite targets. The only thing
is I don't want to disturb the other neighbors. Why do neighbors think they
can boss people beyond the law?

RogerN