Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Muzzleloading cannon

On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 15:50:38 -0500, Ignoramus20041
wrote:

Made this at work with kids today. Barrel approx 0.33" OD, 1.25" OD.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-e...609_153812.jpg

I want to have some idea of how much gunpowder I can put in there, and
what is the best way to make some safe projectiles like wads of paper
or some such. I want a modest BOOM and as little destructive power as
possible.

There is a small hole on top for putting in an igniting cord.

..33 id? About 10-30 grains and Id probably go with the smaller
amounts

At that small a bore...it will sound like a pistol shot and not much
else.

All you need to do is stuff some toilet paper in there with a rod and
pack it down. DO NOT hit it with a hammer etc etc.. and make damned
sure you take the ramrod out before firing. Put a nice 90' bend in one
end of it so you can see the damned thing and paint it a nice bright
yellow.

As for the wadding... 3/8ths-1/2" should make a nice bang.

Now for a modest Boom...use a bore at least .75" and about 25-40grs
blackpowder.

You can simply rebore the barrel bigger with a drill bit.

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
RaidŽ to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."