Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Clamps Loosening Problem

On 6/9/2013 7:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/9/2013 6:05 PM, wrote:

Hi. I've have a little clamping problem that someone may have a
solution.

I've got four Jorgenson standard fast acting clamps like the ones in
the following link.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...850,44647&ap=1

All four of these clamps (some more than others) loosen up quite a bit
over several hours (certainly less than a day).

I was wondering if there was some product that I could apply to the
clamp threads that might decrease this slippage?

I know about Loctite and its various levels of formulation, but I'm
not really sure that is the type of product I'm seeking. Anybody have
any ideas?

Thanks

I have had that problem and Jorgenson gave me the solution. I was
extremely skeptical but I did what they told me to do and the problem
went away.

"Thoroughly" wire brush the threads on the clamping screw.

You want the threads clean and dry, no lube. What makes them slip is
tiny particles of dust that gets embedded in the bottoms of the threads,
be that wood dust or rust dust.

That's good info.

I was going to suggest acetone, thinking it was lube, not the dust.

BTW if the op is using it to hold while chopping , the type of table
matters too. I had used some hand screws and every time I hit the chisel
they loosened. Turns out it was my old workbench, it was a solid core
door and it was bouncing so much it caused it.

--
Jeff