dave in fairfax

Default Hand plane question -please help?

Fred wrote:
I only have one hand plane, and it's a cheap one from harbor freight.
Seeing as how I spend $45 on this lumber, I'd really like to avoid
mistakes.
Would you kind folks please offer me some suggestions on which type of
plane I need to flatten this?
'#4' doesn't mean anything to me....

I almost hate to ask. Where do you live and how much time/money
are you willing to spend on this. A #4 is a smoother, not long
enough to flatten items of any length very well. If it's a HF
plane and it isn't tuned, consider it a funny looking scrub
plane. Using a plane isn't something you're going to just pick up
in an afternoon. Finding a #6 or #7,already tuned and sharpened,
unless you're willing to spend some nice change isn't going to
happen in an afternoon either. Take a moment to go to
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm and read that page,
it'll help some, but the physical part of the learning and
acquiring will still need to be done. So wil coming up with the
money for this addiction. DAMHIKT. Minty and usable off the
shelf planes can be had, but the cost will make the lumber look
like pocket change. A wide belt sander at a cabinet shop or
millwork shop is probably your best bet if you eed it done right
and now. Save getting the planes for later.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: