Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Muzzleloading cannon

"Ignoramus20041" wrote in message

Made this at work with kids today. Barrel approx 0.33" OD, 1.25" OD.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-e...609_153812.jpg

I want to have some idea of how much gunpowder I can put in there, and
what is the best way to make some safe projectiles like wads of paper
or some such. I want a modest BOOM and as little destructive power as
possible.

There is a small hole on top for putting in an igniting cord.

Are you going to use black powder or substitute? If so, I'd just start
somewhere around the same as recommended for a 32 cal pistol. I used to
shoot toilet paper packed into my black powder cannons, I have a 44 cal and
a 75 cal. With the toilet paper packed in reasonable is makes a lot of
noise but not much destructive power. One of my cannons has a cast iron
barrel, the other is brass, I got them from Dixie gun works some 35-40 years
ago.

Searching, one guy said he uses 25 grains of 3F black powder in his 32
caliber. Your barrel looks pretty stout!

RogerN