Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default O/T: San Onofre

On 6/8/2013 11:09 AM, PV wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 6/8/2013 1:03 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Southern California Edison has finally announced the San Onofre
nuclear plant will be permanently shut down.

The arrogance of SCE was typical of the "We know best" attitude
of the utility industry found in some parts of the country.

The San Onofre nuclear plant was an inferior design according to
industry watchdogs that SCE tried to get recertified when it leaked
without submitting to the certifying process.

They were finally brought into submission.

To put things in perspective, there are over 8 million people living
with in 50 miles of San Onofre.

Now for the plant's demolition, but leaving accumulated nuclear
waste within 100 yards of the Pacific Ocean is not an option.

There is still a lot of work ahead to properly dispose of all the
waste
material accumulated over the years and not allow San Onofre to
become an ocean side nuclear dump after the plant's demolition.

SCE will try to cut corners, that is their track record.

Vigilance to keep them under control will be vital.

Off the stump.

Lew

Thank GOD, we have people in the Carolinas that are not afraid of
Nuclear Energy and have trained knowledgeable people to run them in a
safe manner. We have several plants that are online producing clean,
environmental-friendly energy. They are not killing birds, creating
noise in all frequencies. They are not taking up acres and acres of
sunbaked land with no trees.

We recently had a power plant problem. They found a small crack in a
pipe going to the reactor. They shut the plant down, fixed it and
restarted it.

Several years ago we lived within 10 miles of one. Never did it
affect our lives in a negative way. The large lake created for the
cooling system was leased to the city and was a beautiful park with
waking trails, picnic areas, etc. The lake itself was one of the
best fishing lakes in the area.

It is nice to know we have a reliable source of energy to run our air
conditioners this summer, that will run day and night. That is not
dependent on the wind which may be blowing over 100 mph during a
hurricane one day, and the next be so weak that they will not move my
small sailboat.

So you let them bury the nuclear waste in your backyard?

If the restrictive regulations had not been employed to drive nuclear
power out of existence, there would be no waste to bury. It is against
the law to try to reclaim nuclear waste.

If the Chemist and Physicist had been allowed to solve the problem in
the last 40 years, the raw material that we are currently are burying
from nuclear plants would be used to produce additional energy.