Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Repair front porch paint

On 6/8/2013 2:17 PM, nestork wrote:
The idea of covering the paint with some other kind of coating doesn't
sit well with me. No matter what you put over that paint, it's only
going to stay down as long as the paint does. Once that paint starts to
let go, that's the beginning of the end of your repair.

I would remove the paint first, and stripping it off is as good an
option as any (although sand blasting it off would be faster and
cleaner, it would undoubtedly put more lead dust in the air.)

If it were me, I would apply a thick coat of paint stripper,
cover with wax paper to prevent the stripper from evaporating, and then
scrape the softened paint off with a Nestor Scraper, named after it's
inventor:

You make a Nestor Scraper by gripping a single edge razor blade:

[image:
http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/Hom...0_2_rgb_4.jpg]

in a pair of needle nose style locking pliers:

[image: http://www.jsproductsinc.com/media/3599.jpg]

The resulting tool holds the razor blade at a near perfect angle for
scraping. Deposit the paint you shave off in a soup can or something
you'll be throwing away anyhow.

If your steps are wood, dull the edge of the razor on a belt sander
first to prevent the razor from cutting into the wood.

The thin edge of the razor will cut into the softened paint fairly
easily making removal faster.

Once the paint is off, then you can put whatever you want on the steps,
including indoor/outdoor carpeting.

The front porch is concrete, and unless it is unusually smooth it would
be touch to remove anything with a scraper. If using stripper, citrus
stripper might work better because it doesn't evaporate, but it works
more slowly.

For wood, a razor blade would be a poor choice, especially trying to
grip it with pliers...there are nice little holders made especially for
razor blades.