Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Repair front porch paint

Higgs Boson wrote:
I will try to attach a couple of pix of my concrete front porch,
showing "leprosy" caused by years -- decades -- of painting over old
messes.

1. Best way of dealing with it, I am told, is hire someone with a
grinder to strip down to the concrete. Doubt if I can handle the
cost.

2. Was advised in store that the Jasco stripper I am using on the
back (wooden) steps will work on concrete porch paint. ?? Neighbor
said no, no, don't try. Before trying, thought I'd ask the NG.

3. Other alternative: Hire someone to put a layer of ?? over the
mess to even out the surface for painting. I filled in loose paint
years ago with I don't remember what. Didn't last.

QUESTION: Of all the (feasible) alternatives -- or other suggestions
-- which is my best shot?

If you choose #3, what is the recommended product?

TIA

HB

http://s1350.photobucket.com/

I checked this and it didn't show my pix... woe! Hope you can
diagnose anyway?

Just a thought . . . , maybe you could try using http://tinypic.com to
upload photos. I've used that and it works well for me. Photos would
definitely help.

About the lead paint issue -- yes, it is something to think about and to be
careful about. But, if it is your own home, and you do it yourself (meaning
you don't hire someone else to do the work for you), then you are not
required to follow the new stupid U.S. federal rules for lead paint removal.