Posted to uk.d-i-y
Java Jive[_2_] Java Jive[_2_] is offline

Default Roundup strength: change to broadleaf question

Sorry, but not really. Amonst my qualifications I do have a Dip.
Agriculture, but I left the industry a long time ago, after
contracting what I still believe to be Farmer's Lung, though my last
and useless GP didn't agree. Thus anything I happen to remember, like
the creeping buttercup and glyphosate (RoundUp), which in those days
was a comparatively new spray, IIRC invented by Monsanto, is just a
bonus.

ISTR that the broad-leaved weedkiller most widely used then was
something called MCPA, but have no idea about now, as I've never
bothered to spray any of my lawns - I've only used glyphosate to
keep paths clear, etc.

I worked for a short while for an agricultural chemical company, and
what I can tell you, which is only vaguely useful information and not
what you asked, is that one agri-chemical, IIRC it was indeed MCPA, if
spilt, has a gut-wrenchingly revolting stench, sort of a cross between
sour milk, sour Guiness, rotting meat, and rotting fish. Most of the
firm's vans stank of it. Fortunately, I wasn't one of the normal
drivers, but occasionally would get detached from my normal work to
deliver an emergency supply to a big customer ordering after the
morning deadline for same day delivery, and paying extra for the
privilege. If and when this misfortune occurred, you prayed you would
get a newish van that hadn't had time to get smelly, but, of course,
always got the oldest one that had just been returned after being away
for repair, etc.

I remember doing a delivery to a big estate in Wiltshire, a round trip
of some two hundred miles on a hot summer's day. I felt thoroughly
ill all the way, and thought that nothing in the world could possibly
stink worse than the van, until I picked up a hitch-hiker. He was a
middle-aged to oldish man, with body odour guaranteed to cause
dinosaur extinction on a global scale. I nearly fainted as he got in,
and rapidly wound down the driver's window; additionally the heater
was already on full cold, but even so, the stench was so overpowering
that after a few hundred yards I had to invent a forgotten 'drop' down
a side road, and turfed him out at the junction to it. I think he was
a bit nonplussed and annoyed at being picked up and then dumped so
quickly!

On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 20:26:28 +0100, newshound
wrote:

Can you suggest the best thing for creeping buttercup but *not* grass?