Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Recovered my M927 truck

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 15:51:55 -0500, Ignoramus29060
wrote:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l...607_122827.jpg

It was jump started prior to my arrival, I just drove it on my
beavertail trailer in 6WD low. No problem. It looked pretty new to me,
we could not believe it when we saw it. The batteries are dead 100%
and it would not restart. I am going to Chicago right now (as a
passenger) with the truck in the lowboy trailer.

Way cool, Iggy!

Very possible the ABS light is related to the air leak.

"
The safety of the M939 series of trucks has been criticized, especially
braking performance and stability when loaded. In 1999 the US Army began
refitting anti-lock brake systems to the M939 trucks. Until the trucks
were modified, they were limited to a 40 mph (65 km/h) top speed by an
Army-wide safety order.

Prior to that improvement, 26% of all Army vehicle accidents and 53% of
all Army vehicle accident fatalities were in M939 series trucks. From
1987 to 1998 the series made up 9% of the total US Army vehicle
inventory, but accounted for 34% of all fatal accidents.

The problem seemed to be that the torque converter would "lock up" in
2nd gear, and would not unlock easily. When the driver attempted to
brake hard, often in a sudden or 'panic' stop, and accidentally locked
the brakes (no wheel movement, tires skidding), this would kill the
engine; this also killed the power steering, and the driver would
suddenly be unable to steer. Too often, the truck would veer sideways
and either hit something or roll over.
"

--
Steve W.