Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default When shopping online for bearings, how do you decide on QUALITY?

On Jun 7, 2:13*pm, Danny D wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 15:14:06 -0500, dpb wrote:
not worry much whether were NSK or SFK or whatever.
If were really interested in cheapest
possible route, then again, I'd probably take a chance't on the VXBs.

Thanks. That's the kind of pragmatic advice I need.

Sometimes it matters to go name brand; sometimes it doesn't.
Only the experienced will know.

For example, I learned that the Craftsman chain saw (actually
Poulan) sucked; it died at just over a year. So, in that case,
I learned the hard way to go name brand (Stihl or Husky).

Yet, going name brand on pump seals (as I showed earlier) gets
me a $75 pump seal (which, for four pumps, is $300). Going
trade size US Seal (which is the same seal!), is $10 a seal,
for a savings equal to the price of an entire new pump!

So, the experienced person (which I am now on pump seals)
would never go to a pool store (or Sears) for a name brand
pump seal by pool equipment part number.

It may be either way with bearings:
a. Name brand rules?
b. Trade size rules?

I'm just not an experienced person on bearings yet; so,
I don't know which sourcing algorithm is the one you guys
use.

Note: It may be helpful to note that I've had my pumps
rebuilt before; and, for $150, they put in the *wrong*
bearings! (they put in the 6203D bearings!) That might
indicate that it doesn't matter all that much.

DADD-

Here's some sage advice (I'm not the author, merely the messenger)
Use this to help make better decisions...

"Cost of quality vs cost of non-conformance."

Some potentially extreme & trivial but telling examples.....sourcing
parachute..
seat belt replacement
kitchen trash bags
disposable diapers
infantry combat rifle
combat ammunition
lawn fertilizer
baby food
pool motor bearings

btw dpb's advice is worth more than you can probably know