Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cat5 - Shielded or not

On Friday 07 June 2013 20:59 mick wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 20:40:24 -0700, Roy Brophy wrote:

I am running a Cat 5 cable close to a 6mm SWA cable over a 15M run.

Is it worth using shielded Cat 5?

It's supplying a garden studio so there will be the occasional electric
fire / kettle kicking in and out.

Roy

At 15m and if trenching allowed, I'd just bury some hosepipe a minimum of
12" (preferably 24") away from the armoured & thread cat6 through it. The
pipe lets you pull another through if you need to (include a draw wire!).
You should be able to use gigabit ethernet over that - something that wifi
can only dream about. It's simpler and cheaper than fibre. OTOH, if you
can't allow that sort of spacing, then fibre is really the only answer.

Cat5e is sufficient for gig (deja-vu I detect...)

Reading this on the web? See: