Preston Andreas

Default Maximum rip width for 3/4" red oak

He advocated no more than 3" wide to help keep panels flat. Personally, I
go up to 6-7" wide, but keep an eye on grain orientation in individual
boards and adjacent boards. However, the figure of the wood has the final
say.

Preston
"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
Metz's Rules:
Take wider stock and rip to narrower (can't recall right now
how wide but memory says 2 1/2"-3" wide) and end for end
every other rip and re-glue. The thinking on this escapes
me this early in the AM but I remember it having more to do
with cupping, twisting and bowing of wider stock.

Metz was a long time writer for Wood & Wood Products
magazine and well respected in the field. As best as I can
remember Metz was not a hand gun owner but did advocate
howitzer ownership.

UA100