Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default When shopping online for bearings, how do you decide on QUALITY?

On 6/7/2013 1:36 PM, Danny D wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 11:44:46 -0500, dpb wrote:

Higher loadings and/or higher risk/cost of failure equates to using a
known vendor (SKF or like, say and the associated cost). For
inexpensive stuff or low loadings I've found the VXB stuff to be
adequate and good value.

Regarding the load, I'm not sure if the "load" for a pool pump motor
is high or low. What do you think? They spin at about 4K RPM and they
run for about 8 hours a day outdoors.

Is that a high load or a low load?

Standard electric motor rpm's are 1725 and 3450 for 60 Hz...yeah, that's
about 4k, but might as well get it right...

I'm assuming this is a pretty low volume pump (as compared to irrigation
or power plant applications, say); I've never had a pool so don't know
just what they are.

You're good at not providing much in the way of parameters...

Mostly the difference between the low-priced spread and the higher is
the static and dynamic load they're designed for--and that's the weight
applied and how much they've got to resist on shaft movement from

Another key factor, is, of course, materials like SS and seals.

There certainly is some factor of which distributor you choose--most
retail places are much higher than jobbing houses but it isn't all just
gouging--it costs to keep inventory and brick and mortar and there is
something for the service of being around the corner. But, yes, there
is some but to say "never" is stretching it a lot was the point of even
responding to that point at all.

I'm curious as to how-come there are so many of these???

Are all out at one time? For that usage I'd probably give the VXB a
shot for a few and see how they hold up.