Posted to uk.d-i-y
mick[_5_] mick[_5_] is offline

Default Cat5 - Shielded or not

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 20:40:24 -0700, Roy Brophy wrote:

I am running a Cat 5 cable close to a 6mm SWA cable over a 15M run.

Is it worth using shielded Cat 5?

It's supplying a garden studio so there will be the occasional electric
fire / kettle kicking in and out.

Roy

At 15m and if trenching allowed, I'd just bury some hosepipe a minimum of
12" (preferably 24") away from the armoured & thread cat6 through it. The
pipe lets you pull another through if you need to (include a draw wire!).
You should be able to use gigabit ethernet over that - something that wifi
can only dream about. It's simpler and cheaper than fibre. OTOH, if you
can't allow that sort of spacing, then fibre is really the only answer.