Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default 3/4 or 1" PEX??

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 08:28:45 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jun 7, 10:39*am, jamesgang wrote:
On Wednesday, June 5, 2013 5:02:12 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 5 Jun 2013 11:59:31 -0700 (PDT), jamesgang

wrote:

After you take out a second mortgage to pay for the copper. *As the only other wise person I saw on this chain said, poly is the way to go. *Tough and cheap. *Use barbed fittings and hose clamps at the ends.

The OP was head strong on his choice of PEX. *I don't blame him one

bit. He bought a crimper for $90 so why back out now.

I've seen meter to house poly that failed, not from the poly, but the

tree roots that had to be cut out. The tree won. COST: $750 repair for

the neighbor. ~ 25 foot of pipe.

I'm not thinking pex has any advantage over ploy in that situation. *And $750 to replace 25' of buried poly? *Either there is more to this story or they say this guy coming.- Hide quoted text -

I was wondering about that too. Does PEX have any significant
advantage with tree roots over poly? And if tree roots are an
issue,
not sure what you can use. Is PVC OK or can they crack that too?
If PVC is out, then I guess I'd use an iron pipe sleeve over poly for
the area where tree roots could occur.

Perhaps I mistook or was just plain wrong on the cost number. (It was
more than ten years ago ( $75 per hour or $750 total)). apology

This guy's water bill kept going up, so he checked the street meter -
spinning like all get out. The tree in the front was growing much
faster than it would normally with a drip irrigation.

When the curb to house poly was dug up, the trench had many rocks in
it for backfill. Perhaps that caused a small leak or the poly pinched
between rock and roots. Maybe the poly was nicked when the tree was
planted and got worse over time - can't really say.