Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default When shopping online for bearings, how do you decide on QUALITY?

On 6/7/2013 11:38 AM, Danny D wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 16:33:20 +0000, Danny D wrote:
Given the same 6203-2RS bearing sells online for anywhere between
$1.21 to $18.99 per bearing, how do *you* choose between bearings?

They aren't necessarily the same; only that they fit same dimensions and
type...

As a specific example, the 6203-2RS double-sealed bearing is a common
bearing for automotive and engine use; but very few online ads state
the manufacturer, and even fewer list the ABEC/ISO quality rating.

I can call each one, but there must be a better way.

I don't know which brands are better than others, and googling shows
a plethora of manufacturers, e.g., ASK, BCA, Bearings Limited, Bones,
Fafnir Torrington, FAG, Federal, GBC, Hoover, IKO, INA, KBC, Koyo,
Nachi, New Departure, Norma Hoffman, National Precision, RHP, NTN,
NSK, MRC, RHP, SKF, Steyr, Timken,& UBC.

Do you know which of these is considered a "good brand"?

Fafnir, Federal, New Departure, Timken, SKF, NSK are some of the well known.

Unfortunately, price isn't all that helpful (you never get what you pay
for ...

Nonsense. All generalizations, are, in general, generally false...

Since I need about 10 of these bearings, the result ranges from $20 to
almost $200 for my bearing replacement needs.

And you've still not given any indication of service need, so the
crystal orb remains dark....