Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Bandsaw abuse!

On 6/6/2013 9:26 PM, asdfasdf wrote:

the mixture of iron and aluminum powders is called "Thermite".

Military name: On ****, run!

I don't have any experience with it but I thought it just burned.
Do you need to run from it?

I think you're getting the picture from the other posts. Perhaps an
oversimplification, but think "steel foundry" with a large cauldron of
white hot molten steel (depending on the amount of thermite) being
poured on an object. If it's a nonflammable material it's VERY
interesting. If it's flammable, stand the f**k by, it's freakin' awesome.

When I was in the service, all the comms and crypto gear we had also had
fittings on top so we could wire in thermite cannisters (grenades(?))all
connected to a master panel several decks up "just in case." The plan
was that first the thermite was triggered and then the scuttling charges
would go off and send everything left to the bottom of the sea.