Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default A Sony' CRTs color is screwed up.

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 02:52:17 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"micky"
"Phil Allison"

"micky"

** FFS stop wasting your and our time.

Is the set's de-gaussing thermistor working or not ??

Don't know yet. No time or space to take it apart. Have to make
room.

Does it go * BONG * at switch on or NOT ??

No, I made a special effort to listen. Turned it on several times.
I hear a relay click, but the sound is almost the same turning it off
and turning it on.

But I don't think this tv ever went BONG, like one other did.

Odds-on it is the problem and when fixed the set will de-gauss itself.

That's added incentive to turn it around and take the back off.

** Be very careful poking about on the PCB !!!!!

Some Sony Trinitron portable sets were "live chassis" jobs.

Almost all the circuitry is at main voltage - so you need an isolation
tranny to work on them.

Thanks for the warning.

.... Phil

Agreed. If you can locate the degaussing posistor, just remove it from the
board, and shake it. Usually, a faulty one will rattle. One of the two
thermistors in it will crack or break, and then it falls to bits. This often
results in the spring tension holding the other one in place, to be
released, so that one falls loose into the case as well. They are usually
roughly the size and shape of a highlighter (pen) cap - the stubby oval
type - and can be black, white or blue, and normally have three legs.

Thanks.

Go to Google images and type "posistor" into the search field, if you are
not familiar with what they look like. There are loads of images of them on
there.

Thanks. I started doing that.

Arfa