Larry Blanchard

Default Workbench material choice

In article ,
says...
I would use hard maple, because mine has held up well in daily use for
twenty years.

I'd have it quartersawn and glue it up with the grain on the vertical.

I'd not use oak or ash because of their tendency to splinter.

I would not use birch because it is too soft.

I took a suggestion from a Japanese woodworker. He said he
wanted something soft enough so that if he hit it with the work,
the bench would dent and not the work.

So I built my top from hardwood plywood (3/4"+3/4") but
surrounded it with a 2" edge of redwood. After 12-14 years,
there's a lot of dings in the redwood :-).

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?